Open Map

 Uzbek National Academic Drama Theatre

  Uzbek National Academic Drama Theatre was founded on February 27, 1914. The theatre has begun to work in Tashkent since 1931. The same year it was named after Hamza. Later, in 1937 according to the government, it was named Academic.

The theatre accommodates 540 seats. Here you can see performances of different genres - comedy, tragedy, drama, as well as classical works and plays of contemporary authors.

The history of the theatre is associated with the organization of the Uzbek troupe named after Karl Marx in Tashkent. In 1925 the troupe moved to Samarkand, joining the staff of the Kokand theatre, later it received the name of the Central State troupe. Two years later, the graduates of Uzbek studios of Moscow and Baku joined the troupe.

  As mentioned above, the repertoire of the theatre is diverse. These are: “Bai and farm laborer” by Hamza (1920, 1939), “Intrigue and Love” by Shiller (1921), “The Inspector General” by Gogol (1925, 1935, 1952), “Farhad and Shirin” by Khurshid (1926), “Two communists” (1929), “Love and honor” (1936), “Armored train 14-69” by Ivanov (1929), “Hamlet” (1935, 1939, 1940) and “Othello” by Shakespeare (1941).

  Initially the following performances were staged at the theatre: “Rich and servant”, “Poisonous life”, “Slyness and love”, “The Inspector General”. It is known that the people’s heroic and romantic traditions are close to Uzbek art, that’s’ why the theatre performances are so interesting and insightful. These performances are: “Alisher Navoi” (1945), “For those who are at sea” by Lavrenev (1947), “Dawn of the east” by Safarov(1951), “Silk Suzzane” by Kahhar (1952), “Mirza Ulugbek” by Sheih-Zade (1961) and many others.

  On September 21, 2001 according to the decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Uzbek State Theatre named after Hamza was renamed Uzbek National Academic Drama Theatre.


Other sights of Tashkent